Why Rock Island/Milan?
Excellence Every Day
The Rock Island-Milan School District offers wonderful opportunities for students from Kindergarten to graduation. Teachers and staff are committed to providing the best education possible for each and every child. Providing a safe and friendly school atmosphere encourages students to excel at school. Many parents and community members work in a variety of ways to help students be successful in and outside of the classroom.
Students may explore talents through a variety programs: athletic, music and various extra-curricular/after-school activities and clubs. It’s all possible in the Rock Island-Milan School District where teachers, staff and students give Whatever It Takes to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
•Technology forward The district commits funding for new technology in the classrooms that include interactive whiteboards and wireless tablets. All schools and classrooms are wired for voice, data, video, and state-of-the-art modular technology labs in our junior high and high schools.
• Enhanced learning Hands on experiences and child centered decision making lives the core value of “All students can and will learn.” A positive, nurturing classroom and school environment fosters academic success.
• Gifted Program The Gifted Program provides opportunities for each student to develop at their maximum potential. The district assesses 100% of the students starting in first grade. The curriculum challenges students using several strategies and opportunities to learn in a supportive yet rigorous academic environment.
• Parental Involvement School-based parent and family activity nights encourage a strong and supportive learning environment for students.
• Prepared for life From the moment a child enters the classroom to the day they walk down the graduation aisle, the Rock Island-Milan School District is emphatically committed to delivering a quality educational experience. Our students gain the skills vital to future success beyond the classroom.
• Early childhood education Over 400 students are enrolled in the early-age childhood program through the Head Start Program and preschool programs. The school district also oversees the Special Kids in Preschool (S.K.I.P.) interdistrict early childhood program that provides comprehensive, individualized developmentally appropriate services to children with a variety of special needs.