Our Pride is Showing
Rock Island-Milan Public School District #41 currently consists of 9 elementary schools, 2 junior high schools, 1 high school, 1 alternative junior/senior high school, one special needs preschool, and the Head Start program. Enrollment is approximately 6,300 students.
Our road to EXCELLENCE EVERY DAY includes many facility, program, and individual initiatives. Through the hard work of students, staff, parents, business partners, and citizens, a great deal is being accomplished. Here is a capsulated account of some of the activities and accomplishments for your review.
Best wishes for a great year!!
Dr. Mike Oberhaus
Superintendent, Rock Island-Milan School District #41
- Rock Island High School Girls Volleyball team Regional Champions in 2011.
- The Building Excellence plan invested over $30 million in renovations and new facilities into the school district – the first building initiative in over 35 years.
- Rock Island High School has a total of 10 National Merit Scholars and 4 Commended Scholars in the last six years.
- All schools and classrooms wired for voice, data, video, and state of the art modular technology labs in our junior high and high schools . . . technology to take our students into the 21st Century.
- Graduating seniors from Rock Island High School annually earning nearly $700,000 in scholarships . . . they’re on their way to higher education.
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary is the first school in the State of Illinois to achieve Exemplar status in PBIS (Positive Behavior & Intervention Supports).
- Four Rock Island High School All-State Musicians in 2009 & 2010.
- Three All State Athletes in bowling, basketball and football (2010).
- Each year, two local service clubs, the Rock Island Elks and the Rock Island Rotary, provide over 1000 third and fifth graders with their own dictionary in support of literacy.
- 2005 recipient of the School Match “What Parents Want Award” . . . RIMSD 41 has also been chosen all but one year since 1992.
- For 9 consecutive years, RIMSD41 has received the American Society of Business Officials Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting.
- Outstanding coaches: In 2010 Rock Island High School Boys Track Coach Ed Lillis and Softball Coach Steve Ebner were inducted into the State of Illinois Coaches Hall of Fame, and Rock Island High School Girls Track Coach Michelle Lillis was selected as Girls AA Track Coach of the Year.
- 2011 Boys Basketball State Champions!
- 75 Dispatch/Argus Master Teacher Award winners . . . RIMSD 41 has more Master Teacher Award winners than any other district in the area.
- RIMSD 41 featured in the national publication, School Administrator, and the architectural firm Shive Hattery’s publication, School Talk . . . commended for innovative, district-wide Year-Round Education calendar.
- Rock Island High School Drama Team were state champions in 2008 & 2009, and have been regional champions for 11 years!
- Rock Island High School 31-student choir performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City in the spring of 2005.
- Over 1/3 of the Rock Island High School student body has a 3.0 or higher G.P.A.
- Rocky Girl’s Track Team State Champions!
- At the 18th Annual Rock Island County CONTIG Math Contest, a Eugene Field student placed 1st, and Audubon students placed 1st and 3rd.
- Blue Ribbon Award from Expansion Management Magazine. . . recognized for outstanding school district value to the community.
- 6 National Board Certified Teachers in our district . . . Sylvia Elliott, Deb Feddersen, Lynn Keck, Susan Neece, Connie Snell, and Jeff Martin.
- Longfellow teacher Mark Gerlach was selected as the Sam’s Club “Teacher of the Year” from the region.
- Minority Teacher Incentive Program involving over 200 students . . . this unique program has a proud history and a bright future for aspiring teachers.
- Guiding Influence for Tomorrow (GIFT) mentoring program for hundreds of our students . . . no other local district has such a program.
- Science-Engineering-Communication-Mathematics-Enhancement (SECME) Partnership Program with John Deere . . . emphasizing the involvement of underrepresented populations of students in science and mathematics at Washington Junior High.
- Air Force Junior ROTC program at Rock Island High School rated EXCELLENT by the United States Air Force . . . we have the only program of its kind in the area.
- Every elementary school in District 41 has a business partner through the Adopt-A-School program . . . we are grateful for countless employees taking time during their busy days to work with our students.
- Two schools, Rock Island Academy and Longfellow Liberal Arts, enjoy college partnerships with St. Ambrose University and Augustana College.
- Rock Island Center for Math & Science has a satellite office for the Illinois Math & Science Academy (Aurora, IL).