What Would RIMSD Do with $3M a Year?
Last Updated on Monday, 15 August 2016 12:53 Written by Holly Sparkman Monday, 1 August 2016 06:21
If passed, the Rock Island County School Facility Sales Tax will benefit Rock Island-Milan Schools in many ways by improving facilities. It is anticipated that RIMSD could have an additional $3 million in revenue to use for school facility improvements.
The revenue can be used only for school facility improvements – not salaries, operating costs, text books/materials or transportation. Recently, the Rock Island-Milan School District completed a facility study and came up with a number of projects:
- Complete Building Excellence projects at Edison Jr. High, Washington Jr. High, Thomas Jefferson, Earl Hanson and Ridgewood that include adding more security to front entrances.
- Main office addition and secure front entry at Rock Island High School.
- Move food production facility to Rock Island High School and create a food-court style cafeteria.
- Washington Jr. High Room science room remodel.
- Renovate Public Stadium restrooms.
- Have funds for roofs, exterior masonry restoration, flooring, and ongoing capital needs.