School & Building Information
Washington Junior High is located at 3300 18th Avenue in Rock Island.
18th Avenue is a major thoroughfare in Rock Island. Along this corridor is a mixture of commercial, business and residential land uses. The area directly surrounding Washington, however, is solely single-family residences.
The Rock Island-Milan School District operates on a modified year-round calendar. School starts in early August, and students have 2-week breaks in the fall, winter, and spring.
- New Parent Orientation: July 27, 6:30 p.m.
- First Day of School: August 4
- Open House: August 17, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
481 students in 2009
The average class size is 20.9 students according to the 2009 School Report Card.
There are 15.9 students per teacher.
Beginning and Ending Grades
This school serves students in grades seventh to eighth.
Number of Classes At Each Grade Level
There are 7 classes for each grade.
Proximity to Housing and/or Neighborhoods
Of all our students, 33.3% walk, 33.3% arrive and leave by car, and 33.3% use the bus.
Hot Breakfast/Lunch Programs
Daily, we offer a hot breakfast and a hot lunch.
Special Features of Building or Grounds
- Building fully accessible to those with special needs
- Building air conditioned
- Building constructed in 1920, but in a good state of repair
- Large playground behind the school
- Two gymnasiums, one activity room
- State-of-the-art literacy lab
- Good technology center
- Library upgraded and refurnished in 2004
- Beautification project of school grounds began in 2004
Recent and Planned Upgrades
- Air conditioning
- Beautification of school grounds
- Refurnishing school library
- Installation of the literacy lab
- Continued beautification of school grounds with additional tress, shrubs, flowers, “message board” sign
Parent Involvement and Opportunities
- Attendance at extracurricular activities
- Participation in Student-Led Conferences twice a year
- Involvement through the PTA
Conflict Resolution or PBIS (Positive Behavior In Schools)
WJHS practices a philosophy of progressive discipline. The consequence for an infraction becomes more severe based on the number of times the students has committed the infraction. All rules and regulations are consistent with the Rock Island-Milan District kindergarten through twelfth discipline code. WJHS currently does not practice PBIS, but is exploring the idea.
Safety, Parking, Crossing Guards
Parents are asked to drop their child off on the east side (34th St.) of the building before school. Students wait on the playground and then enter through the cafeteria doors. After school, parents may park on either the east or west sides of the building. Parking/dropping off along 18th Avenue is prohibited by city ordinance and drivers have been ticketed by the Rock Island Police. The school also provides adult crossing guards after school.
Playground Time & Supervision
During lunch time only, and then only in good weather, while teachers and the principal supervise.