Seven Rock Island High School students participated in the Black History Month Essay Contest at the Rock Island Arsenal.
Seniors Asrielle Allen and Tajae Stoner-Harris were awarded a Rock Island Arsenal medal and a Kindle Fire for their essays and were invited to read them at a special Black History Month program at the Arsenal on February 14.
Students were prompted to write on the topic: “Name an African American, past or present, with whom you would choose to spend a day; explain why.”
Seven students submitted essays:
- Asrielle Allen, a day with Mary McCleod Bethune;
- Tajae Stoner-Harris, a day with Katherine Johnson;
- Alica (Alicia) Austin, a day with Rosa Parks;
- Tavion Douglas-Rogan, a day with Mohamad Ali;
- Dakota Moore, a day with Martin Luther King, Jr.;
- Christopher Blanch, a day with Martin Luther King, Jr.;
- Dasheana Beason, a day with Martin Luther King, Jr.