Rock Island/Milan School District School Board
Board Vacancy – The Board of Education accepted the resignation of member Dr. Kim Armstrong effective July 15, 2014. Applications were accepted through July 8, 2014 at 4:00 p.m. to fill her term through April 2015.
Seven candidates will be interviewed at the special meetings on July 9 and 10, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the Administration Center.
Special Closed-Session Meetings will be held Tuesday, July 8, 2014 (to review applications); Wednesday, July 9, 2014 (to conduct interviews); and Thursday, July 10, 2014 (to conduct interviews).
All meetings will be held at 5:30 p.m. at the Administration Center at 2101 Sixth Avenue, Rock Island. The newly appointed member will be seated at the regular meeting on July 22, 2014.
The Rock Island-Milan Board of Education consists of seven community members chosen by school district voters on a non-partisan ballot. Board members are volunteers receive no compensation for their service. Meet the Board of Education >>
Meetings are held in the Rock Island High School Library (1400 25th Avenue) and start at 6:00 p.m.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Board establishes policy governing local school matters within the framework set by the State Legislature and the State Board of Education
- Ultimately responsible for the budget, personnel matters, facilities and equipment, and policies for the operation of the district
- Serves as a communications link with the community
- Actively seek the opinions and involvement of the public
Leadership Training Completion
Following is the current status of the Board member traing for the 2013-14 school year:
- Kim Armstrong – completed Open Meetings Act (OMA) 3/28/12 – still needs the PDLT/PERA training
James Bishop – completed OMA 3/28/12 – still needs the PDLT/PERA training
Linda Dothard - completed OMA 3/28/12 – still needs the PDLT/PERA training
David Rockwell – completed OMA 3/28/12 – still needs the PDLT/PERA training
Paula Rummels – completed OMA 3/28/12 – still needs the PDLT/PERA training
Earl Strupp – completed all mandatory training at boot camp on 6/21/13
James Veasey – completed all mandatory training at boot camp on 6/21/13
School Board Meetings
- Held for the purpose of conducting school business in public
- Two business meetings each month on the second and fourth Tuesdays unless otherwise announced
- Meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. at the Rock Island High School Library
- Citizens are encouraged to comment on school issues of community interest and concern